10 Health Benefits Of Blue Vervain
Blue vervain is a small perennial that is indigenous to the Mediterranean area with equally small, lilac flowers. Today this aromatic plant can also be found in eastern Europe, North Africa, Japan, China, and throughout North America. It is also commonly known as vervain, verbena, enchanter’s plant, herb of the cross, Juno’s tears, pigeon’s grass, pigeonweed, and herb of grace.
The part of the plant that grows above ground is the part that is used for medicinal purposes. It can be prepared as a tincture or a tea.
1. Women can benefit greatly from this plant. Nursing mothers find that it increases their milk flow with few known side effects to mother or baby. Verbena also treats irregular menstruation, cramping, and menopause symptoms as it regulates hormones.
2. Blue vervain tea manage the hormones that affect those with nervous disorders such as chronic anxiety and insomnia. It can also improve moods by stimulating the release of serotonin and dopamine in those suffering from depression or mood swings. The herbal extract can also relax the muscles in the body.
3. Sore throats and cold symptoms can be treated with blue vervain tea or a gargle of the plant. Some recommend taking blue vervain at the beginning of a cold to reduce its severity. The herb is a natural expectorant and takes care of chest congestion. It is also used in a sinusitis treatment combined with gentian root, elderflower, sorrel, and cowslip flower and is marketed as SinuComp and Sinupret. Fevers are also treated with vervain because it promotes sweating.
4. The tea has also improved oral health. The tannins are an antioxidant that works on mouth ulcers, bacterial infections, and bleeding gums, to name a few.
5. Blue vervain is also an anti-inflammatory. It treats inflammation in the respiratory tracts including asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, and whooping cough.
6. Blue vervain has long been known as a diuretic. It detoxifies the body by getting rid of the excess water, fat, and salt in the body. This promotes kidney and liver health as well as treats bladder infections. It is a natural treatment of jaundice. Along with the cleansing effect it has on the liver, it also increases the bile flow from the gallbladder, which is sometimes part of the problem during menstruation. The detoxification effects makes the overall body feel better on the inside and the skin look fresher and healthier on the outside.
7. Those with heart conditions such as angina or fluid retention due to heart failure can benefit from the natural diuretic treatment.
8. The pain relief properties of vervain treat headaches, arthritis pain, and the pain due to kidney stones. The diuretic is also useful for dissolving the kidney stones.
9. It is also an anti-inflammatory that brings relief to gout as well as arthritis. For gout, it is likely due to the improved flow and expulsion of uric acid.
10. Direct contact on the skin has been used to treat wounds, burns, abscesses, and contusions. It also relieves itching and can be an astringent for insect bites to remove any toxins.
Blue Vervain is generally safe and can be taken with food. It has been combined in products such as SunuComp and Sinupret with other natural products. These products may cause upset stomach and skin rash in some cases. It is also not recommended for women who are pregnant as it may be a uterine stimulant and cause a miscarriage. As with any herbal supplement or remedy, it is important to consult a medical professional before using it for treatments.